Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Amarillo Pale


With the coming hop shortage, I figured I would take advantage of the hops we have in our local shop now and not wait until they were totally gone. I am not sure what the availability of Amarillo hops is going to be, but I love them so much I decided I would make a beer using only them in case they did disappear. The recipe is amazingly simple, and I have to admit that I stole most of it from The Homebrew Chef, Sean Paxton. His recipe was all grain so I converted that, and am going to dry hop where he didn't, but those are really the only changes I made.

My starting gravity was about 1.063, and the sample I took was totally green from the hops. I made a 2 L starter a day before and this picture was taken just before it really took off. The smell and the taste of the wort were amazing. Just all hops and nothing else. I may have fudged some of the amounts and numbers just a little bit as I brewed this at a group brew and was having a great time socializing. For the most part the amounts though should be pretty close to accurate.

Recipe

8.5 pounds pale DME
.5 pounds cara pils
7 ounces Amarillo(9% AAU) for 10 min.
White Labs 001 Cal Ale (2 liter starter)

Steep Grains for 30 min at 150 to 155
60 min. boil
Fermenting in glass at 68 degrees


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add a little update. I added one ounce of Amarillo hops as a dry hop on January 14th. The smell of this beer so far is just absolutely amazing.

Dale said...

So how did it come out in the end?