Saturday, January 5, 2008

Six Pack IPA




This is the six pack IPA from James Spencer at Basic Brewing Radio. I used the recipe that was published in BYO magazine. I was just bored one night and wanted to brew but didn't want to drag out all of the equipment when I remembered this recipe. Everything went really well and it was pretty easy to make. The only real problem I ran into was that Pro Mash did not like working with volumes less than a gallon. Also, since I do not own a refractometer, the actual gravity and IBU numbers are completely unknown to me. I can make a guess based on volume, but to tweak this recipe it looks like I am going to have to work purely on taste.

I know that the background looks pretty ghetto, but that is because I am fermenting in my basement where it is cool. At the time of this posting it had just started to ferment, and I am hoping that it will really take off today.

The recipe was pretty basic, one thing you really need is a good scale as the hop additions are all measured in gram increments. I went to the local head shop and picked up one of those little scales that hang off of your finger. It worked OK, but a nice digital Escali scale would have been a lot nicer.

So here is the recipe I used:

2 oz. Crystal Malt 60L
1 Lb Light DME
10 g. Simcoe Hop Pellets 15 min.
4 g. Simcoe Hop Pellets 5 min.
4 g. Simcoe Hop Pellets 0 min.
5 g. Safale US - 05 Dry Yeast
4 g. Simcoe Hop Pellets -- I will dry hop in about a week for 3 days.

I started with one gallon of water, and then just did it like normal except that everything was way smaller. The whole article is in the July-August 07 BYO and it goes into a lot more detail on the actual process.

No comments: