Friday, January 25, 2008

Six Pack IPA -- First Tasting

I was able to finally try the first bottle of my six pack of IPA yesterday, and was astounded by the results. I forgot to take a picture of the final beer so that you can see the color but I will definitely take and post a pic of the next one that I pop open.

The color is dark orange and pretty cloudy. The smell blew me away. Extremely hoppy, but due to the fact that I used only simcoe hops it is extremely piney, and resiney, with very little of what I would call a citrusy flavor. Usually in an IPA the citrus aroma is my favorite part so I was pretty worried that I was not going to like this one, but quite the opposite, I think I liked it more because it was so different.

Not being able to do a gravity reading before or after fermentation, I really had no idea what to expect as far as bitterness or alcohol. As it turns out I would call the final beer much more a double IPA than a regular IPA. The resiny aspect of the hops really came out but in a pleasant way. The bitterness level was extremely high, I would guess around the high 70 to low 80 IBU range, and balanced a pretty malty base very well.

In the end the beer came out better than I would have ever guessed that it would and I cant wait to make some more. Maybe a 5 gallon batch this time.

No comments: